Website Update!

My business has been undergoing some changes this year, and especially in the next couple of months, and I'd finally gotten to the point where I couldn't put it off anymore.  With web trends being what they are - constantly changing - it's hard to stay updated, and today's exciting new feature can easily end up being tomorrow's nuisance.  (Remember flashing header images and animated flash splash pages?)

In any case, I struck a balance between using some of the new, updated standards, but keeping things simple and clean enough that I won't need to change the site again in the next 6 months.  (In an ideal world, websites would be updated once a year, or every other year at the minimum!  But we're all realists here, and it's a rare company that has the leisure and resources to do just that.)

What can you expect to see on the new site?

1) A Cleaner "Look"



I still loved the design of my site, so while I agonized for a few months over stripping away all the texture and color and leaving a bare bones version suitable for the current minimalism trend, I ultimately decided against it.  I did, however, remove the JavaScript sliders from the home page (remember what I said about tomorrow's nuisance?), pulled all the contact information out of the header, and made my footer into something that is useful rather than swirly, pretty, and ultimately useless.

2) Less Clutter



In addition to the look, the content has been streamlined.  The contact form is available on every page, so you don't have to go searching for it.  The quote form is in with the rates and services, and there's just generally less fluff.  If there's words somewhere, it's to convey useful information.

3) Updated Galleries!



As much as I loved Lightbox, I have to admit it's falling to the wayside.  And for good reason!  It's difficult to use on phones and touch screens.  So after much research, I've switched myself and my clients over to Fotorama, another open source image gallery.  I've said it before, but I'll say it again, web designers and developers are such an amazing crowd!  The resource sharing that goes on is absolutely amazing and I am so grateful for the people who provide these things for everyone to use.

4) HTML5 Transitions



This is one of the features people are going crazy with now that I think will be obsolete in a couple years, BUT I couldn't resist!  I went very, very light with it, so you won't see things zooming and fading all over the page, but there are some simple hover effects on my front page and various other buttons and links.

So there you have it!  I always think it's not possible for me to love my website anymore, but every time I update it, it's like the first time.  I hope I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Jenn Wells Design Logo